How to apply for a nuisance permit (DDP) for property owners: 


1: Call Leslie Lupo NYSDEC Wildlife Biologist (631) 444-0311 or click here for application

2: Make sure to express your concerns, i.e.: ornamental plant, understory damage, deer feces in yard and tick borne illness concerns.

3: Complete permit and include the NYS Hunting License# of your hunter for permit application.

4: You can email copy of completed permit to  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  for us to review, if needed.

5: Once permit is submitted, a site inspection will follow by DEC Biologists.

6: Once a DDP is issued, it will only need to be renewed annually, and will be valid from 02/01/xx - 09/30/xx


Deer Damage Permits (DDPs)

To reduce damage problems on individual properties, WHILE damage is occurring. Often called "Nuisance" or "Damage" permits.  Available throughout the state.

Applications available to landowners from DEC Wildlife offices. Taking by permittee and approved agents only.

Eligibility for permits is based on property damage and the lack of, or failure, of other practical alternatives to alleviate the problem. Permit may be limited to harassment techniques or allow the taking of deer.

Permits generally are NOT available during an open deer hunting season. Usually for antlerless deer only.

DEC issues tags to permittee for a limited number of deer. Permit activity limited to lands specified on the permit.

Permittee must report all deer taken to DEC. No charge.

Application Deadline

Permit issued when damage warrants it.

More information on Wildlife Damage Control


Frequently Asked Questions

The Bureau of Wildlife is responsible for deer management in New York State. Landowners and hunters actually carry out that manage- ment.


Q. What is the most efficient way to control deer numbers?

A. Regulated hunting remains the most efficient means to manage deer, with adequate harvests of antlerless deer being essential to successful efforts.


Q. As a landowner, what can I do?

A. Like managing any resource, or controlling any nuisance problem, deer management requires forethought and planning. Knowing the management options available and the importance of antlerless harvest are key.

  • Evaluate what is being done on your land. Are you allowing hunting? If not consider providing access to some hunters. If you allow hunting, get to know the hunters using your lands and their harvest tendencies. Hunters who are only interested in taking bucks do little to help control deer numbers. 

  • As the property owner you can control access and put conditions on those using your lands. Be sure hunters are aware of your deer management interests. 

  • If your goal is to reduce deer numbers, encourage antlerless harvest. Ask, or insist, hunters apply for and useDeer Management Permits. If the hunters currently hunting your lands are not willing to take antlerless deer, provide access to others that will.

  • Finally, when standard hunting opportunities alone do not provide the means to adequately control deer numbers or problems, apply for Deer Management Assistance Program Permits (DMAPs) or Deer Damage Permits (DDPs) as appropriate.